Joule-Thomson (J-T) Plants
- Control hydrocarbon dew point to comply with pipeline specifications
- Extract valuable natural gas liquids (NGLs), significantly increasing revenue
- Simple and less expensive alternative to standard refrigeration plant
- No electricity required and contains no moving parts
- Includes methanol injection pump, multiple injection ports and spray distributors
- Standard and custom packaged J-T plants available
- Skid-mounted for simple installation at any remote location
Our Joule-Thomson (J-T) plants prepare gas for pipeline transmission by removing hydrocarbon liquids that provide an additional revenue stream. Employing the Joule-Thomson effect, named for the men who discovered it in 1854, the J-T plant is a self-refrigeration system that uses a drop in gas pressure, which allows the gas to expand, to create a cooling effect. The unit condenses heavy hydrocarbons out of the gas to meet required gas pipeline specifications. Excess liquids that may condense and cause problems in transmission are recovered and stored for fractionation into sellable hydrocarbon components. The heavier the hydrocarbons contained in the gas, the higher the GPM value.
To ensure faster delivery, Joule strives to keep our standard packaged J-T plants in stock. Our standard J-T plants are skid-mounted and designed to be loaded and off-loaded from a flatbed truck. Each model is designed with three flanged customer connections (gas inlet, gas outlet, liquid outlet), pre-piped to the edge of the skid. All units include optional methanol injection port with distributor for low temp refrigeration.
Joule determines which of our four standard sizes will best fit each client’s needs, based on the client’s flow rate, pressure, temperature and composition.