The Instrumentation and Controls Engineer is responsible for the engineering, design, procurement and construction of Instrumentation and Control Systems. This individual is expected to function in this capacity with minimal supervision and exchange information, instructions and ideas with other functional groups.
- Assist in preparation of the project execution plans, cost estimates, subcontracts requirements and risk management.
- Coordinates standard discipline engineering activities on projects with minimal to no supervision.
- Work with vendors to specify instrumentation based on design inputs and criteria.
- Generate and complete instrument datasheets.
- Develop/review of specifications and calculations.
- Develop design documentation (installation details, instrument index, databases, I/O lists, panel drawings, wiring and loop diagrams, control narratives, cable tray layouts, etc).
- Develop/review of documentation including alternative analyses, acceptance test procedures, and software validation and verification.
- Participate on design teams for projects involving the design of equipment, systems, and facilities.
- Identify issues (problems, value improvement opportunities) and help clarify areas of complexity during all phases of the engineering design work.
- Actively participate in FAT / SAT of control systems.
- Assist in commissioning and startup.
- Procure and expedite instrumentation, control valves, and controls hardware and systems.
- Participate in proposal and R&D efforts for marketing support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Practical experience in an operating chemical plant.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of projects.
- Experience with instrumentation design.
- Experience with Control System Hardware and Specification – I/O modules, ESD (SIS), PCS, package control systems, Fire & Gas systems (FGS), Architecture Design, etc…
- Allen-Bradley PLC and HMI programming experience.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments / projects
- Experience in project work processes, and standard engineering execution procedure.
- Critical thinking, resourceful, results driven.
- General business acumen, with experience in cost control and budget execution; specifically, with a fixed budget within a lump sum project.
- Understands and adheres to all policies, procedures, and guidelines pertaining to safety, health and environmental emphasizing this perspective in their own work and in the work of others.
- Strives to continuously improve and apply personal knowledge and skills to effectively perform role.
- Use fact-based, structured decision-making process to initiate and support appropriate actions.
- Be a team player that works effectively within and across group(s), willing to understand each member's role and responsibilities.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering
- Experience: 7+ years of experience on the Engineering Contractor or Process Equipment Supplier side of Instrumentation and Control Systems, including field instruments (flow, level, pressure, temperature, analyzer specifications, datasheets, and calculations), as well as the systems & controls side (DCS, PLC, SIS, etc.).
- Software experience
- Microsoft Office